Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Wasteful Advertising

The election is over, but I am still seeing the advertising aftermath everywhere. Flyers, door hangers, crumpled signs and paper are littered all over the city. Every time I see an MP’s face staring up at me from the gutter, I cringe. Their face, their party and their brand have now become associated with garbage, waste and eyesoreness. Not to mention the environmental reprocussions that spring to mind.

I am sure I am not the only one who thinks this way.

If we are looking at election advertising after the fact with such distain, imagine how we see your brand after a sale is through. When people see your logo heaped up in their waste, as extra garbage they have to take care of, they are going to think of it just as that.

Some solutions? Make ads that are keepsakes. Make them interesting and artful and collectable. Or don't do flyers at all, and stick with radio and television. Sound pollution is another story for another time, but it is along the same principle - if it isn't funny, interesting, entertaining or informative - people don't want it to interrupt their lives.

I do love the Science World ad about the chickens though. It's brilliant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home