Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Locus of Control

Below is Julian Rotter's locus of control quiz.

Locus of control is whether you believe that your life is under your own control, or whether you believe that everything is uncontrollable and left to chance.

Take the quiz and go to Creative Wonders link to see how you score.

1. I usually get what I want in life.
True
False
2. I need to be kept informed about news events.
True
False
3. I never know where I stand with other people.
True
False
4. I do not really believe in luck or chance.
True
False
5. I think that I could easily win a lottery.
True
False
6. If I do not succeed on a task, I tend to give up.
True
False
7. I usually convince others to do things my way.
True
False
8. People make a difference in controlling crime.
True
False
9. The success I have is largely a matter of chance.
True
False
10. Marriage is largely a gamble for most people.
True
False
11. People must be the master of their own fate.
True
False
12. It is not important for me to vote.
True
False
13. My life seems like a series of random events.
True
False
14. I never try anything that I am not sure of.
True
False
15. I earn the respect and honors I receive.
True
False
16. A person can get rich by taking risks.
True
False
17. Leaders are successful when they work hard.
True
False
18. Persistence and hard work usually lead to success.
True
False
19. It is difficult to know who my real friends are.
True
False
20. Other people usually control my life.
True
False

If you truly believe that you are creating your own reality as you go along, then you will have a very high locus of control. People like this are rarely sick, or depressed. It is the power of positive thinking, and life can be whatever you choose it to be.

There is a certain magic in throwing yourself into the maelstrom of chance and randomness. The strange thing, however, is the more madness you seek - the more sensitive you become to the synchronicity and alignment of events around central themes in your life. Themes that you are in fact controlling - no matter how much you might believe it to be impossible.

Try hitchhiking, or flying into a random city in a random country, doing something you have never done before, or expanding your comfort zone. You can strengthen yourself and your character, but you will never lose yourself, no matter how hard you try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home