Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Depression

It is miserable outside and I am depressed. The weather has a huge effect on people’s moods, especially mine, and it sucks. Especially when you live in Vancouver – the rainiest place on the planet. I heard it was 27 degrees in Halifax today. Either way, instead of whittering on about my woes, I thought I would put the topic to good use.

Depression is common, for certain, everyone gets the blues now and again, especially if you live in Vancouver, the rainiest place on the planet, and the weather influences your mood like it does mine. But for others, it can be a clinical condition.

For this reason there has been quite a push to bring awareness of the reality and symptoms of depression to the forefront. This is taken from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders- Fourth Edition. If you have five of the nine in the same two weeks – you should talk to a doctor.

There is an ad out of New Zealand that brings depression into mainstream conversation for stoic male society.

There are a few ads on the radio right now in Vancouver. They are okay.
They go along the lines of ‘I hate myself, I am thinking about all of the awful things about myself, I…; and someone asks ‘how are you doing today?’ and they say, ‘oh, just fine.’

Clinical depression is awful. It takes a whole new cognitive rewiring to get back on track, but it can be done. It is a state of mind.

Myself, I always remember that life is short, it’s not really anything to be taken too seriously, and we, especially we in North America with cozy offices and food, without the immediate threat of war or torture, with all of our limbs and senses and capabilities – really should be busy enjoying paradise as opposed to dwelling in our own misery. But hey, that’s just me.

This might cheer you up or this and if not maybe this (apparently he was winning until the crowd started chanting his name).




“Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on earth.” Allegedly by Mark Twain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home